Blog Cover - Benefits of drinking coconut water every day

Benefits of Drinking Coconut Water Daily

Naturally refreshing, coconut water has a sweet, nutty taste. Not to be confused with coconut milk or oil, coconut water is the clear liquid found inside a young, green coconut. If you have traveled to the tropics, you have likely encountered this delicious drink. Served in its original shell from street vendors, coconut water abroad is enjoyed in its natural green husk. Making its way across to America, coconut water is usually available canned, bottled, or in a carton. Coconut water is more than just a popular thirst-quencher — it has numerous nutritional benefits. Here are five great benefits of drinking coconut water daily.

Boosts hydration

Like its name suggests, coconut water contains about 95% water, which makes it an excellent hydrator. The other 5% are essential vitamins and minerals like potassium and sodium, which act as electrolytes and balance the water levels in our body. Having one or two glasses of coconut water after a long day in the sun can replenish your body of minerals, vitamins and energy.

Contains potassium

Speaking of vitamins and minerals, coconut water is full of potassium — a vital mineral in your body. You need enough to maintain membrane potential, which is the electrolyte balance your body needs to function properly. Without potassium, you are more likely to experience fatigue, cramps in your arm and leg muscles, and even abnormal psychological behavior. A single serving of coconut water contains about 13% of your daily potassium needs.

Contains magnesium

Magnesium is another one of the most essential minerals to our diet, yet only 32% of people consume enough. Magnesium deficiency causes low energy and can even lead to serious health conditions like high blood pressure, asthma, and osteoporosis. A single serving of coconut water will make up about 14% of your daily magnesium needs.

Contains antioxidants

Natural coconut water contains a lot of antioxidants. This helps prevent the damage to our bodies caused by free radicals. Even though free radicals are produced by your metabolism and essential to life, they can lead to fatigue, memory loss, brain fog, and muscle and joint pain. Fortunately, antioxidants keep free radicals in check. And that’s where coconut water comes in!

Contains Copper

Copper is another important mineral for your health. It keeps the blood vessels, nerves, immune system, and bones healthy. A deficiency in copper results in poorly formed red blood cells, known as anemia. Further, it is also an antioxidant, which helps the elimination of free radicals. One serving of coconut water will give you about 11% of your daily copper requirements. If all of these amazing benefits of drinking coconut water daily don’t convince you to pick up some coconut water, then we don’t know what will!

Sources:

  1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropics
  2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_water
  3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium
  4. https://www.webmd.boots.com/a-to-z-guides/low-potassium-hypokalaemia
  5. https://www.livestrong.com/article/381836-the-potassium-levels-in-coconut-water/
  6. http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/may04/energy0504.htm
  7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1855626/
  8. https://www.livestrong.com/article/369303-the-benefits-of-drinking-coconut-water/
  9. https://www.livescience.com/54901-free-radicals.html
  10. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20351360
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on google
Google+
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on delicious
Delicious
Back to Home Page
Scroll to Top Skip to content